Earlier this year, firefighters responded to a fire at an establishment in Copley Square. The blaze, which was quickly extinguished, caused $100,000 in damages and thankfully no injuries. The cause of the fire? Grease that had collected in the ductwork and not been cleaned properly was ignited by the heat coming from the kitchen stoves of the establishment.
There was very little warning that the fire was about to ignite, however, once it did it moved quickly through the ductwork of the establishment. Grease fires are known to catch their victims completely unprepared and this was no different. Luckily, everyone inside of the restaurant was able to evacuate the building and make it to safety.
Had there been an adequate hood cleaning system in place the fire most likely would not have happened. Grease would not have been able to collect in the way that it had to ignite the blaze because the ventilation would be clean. No extra work is required by kitchen staff to maintain the system. Simply turn the system on after a specified amount of time depending on how heavily a kitchen is used.
Boston is quickly becoming a destination spot for individuals seeking a world-class dining experience. As this is happening, the fire department is also tightening up its regulations to ensure patrons a safe experience. With an increased emphasis on fire safety, can you ensure that your establishment will be up to grade? Who is held responsible if a fire were to occur?
Grease fires are the number one cause of danger in a commercial restaurant setting in the United States. The National Fire Protection Association has reported that 1 in 5 restaurant fires can be attributed to a “failure to clean” factor. They are also something that can be easily prevented. A thorough restaurant hood cleaning eliminates grease accumulation in hood systems and wipes away the biggest restaurant fire hazard. Boston hood cleaning is available for restaurant owners to help keep their places of business safe.
Proper kitchen ventilation has many other benefits as well. A well ventilated commercial cooking space runs more efficiently and helps keep kitchen appliances in peak condition for longer. Without a smoky haze present employees will find it easier to focus as well as be able to maintain a professional appearance. Proper ventilation also helps get rid of any unwanted bacteria that is regularly found in a kitchen, ensuring that both the people and food stay healthy.